Brahmi finds mentions in Atharva Veda and in texts like the Charaka Samhita and Sushruta Samhita as a Medhya Rasayana class of herb, taken to sharpen intellect and attenuate mental deficits. This was used by ancient Vedic scholars to memorize lengthy sacred hymns and scriptures. Brahmi has long history in Indian Ayurvedic medicine. It is widely used for its effect in blood circulation that promotes efficient function of the liver, lungs and the kidneys.
Brahmi has traditionally been employed as a neurological tonic and cognitive enhancer; current scientific studies have shown that it has neuro-protective properties. As per Ayurveda it is a Tridoshnashak, it calms down a restless mind thereby improving one’s analytical abilities. Routine intake of Brahmi powder during pregnancy helps in proper growth of the baby physically as well as mentally. On physical level powder of Brahmi is one the best rejuvenator of the body physiology.
Brahmi is valuable plant for brain and entire nervous system. Brahmi is used in epilepsy and mania. Brahmi helps in depression and mental retardation. Brahmi in small doses has cardio-tonic property. Brahmi used in rheumatoid arthritis, the fresh juice of Brahmi is applied to the inflamed joints which help in relieving pain.
In a study conducted to test the efficacy of Brahmi on human memory done in University of Wollongong, Australia, have shown that it enhances the capacity to retain new information while maintaining the capability of learning.
Similar studies that were carried out showed that Brahmi extract improves cognitive capability and mitigates the further deterioration of brain neurons, which is helpful in the treatment of Alzheimer, a debilitating brain disorder. It has antioxidant capacity and scavenges free radicals in the body while protecting the human DNA. It protects the neurons thereby preventing progressive reduction in their mass thus mitigates neural degeneration.
Brahmi has long been used in Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of asthma. A study conducted to determine the bronchial vasodilation effect of Brahmi suggests that constituents found in Brahmi inhibits the formation of calcium ions thereby enhancing the functioning of the lungs. Other studies have also shown its effectiveness in the treatment of depression, epilepsy, stress and in ulcers, proving the wisdom of this ancient science of Ayurveda.
More post in same category
- Gudi Padwa 2017
- RUDRALIFE RUDRAKSHA EXBT-HYDERABAD, FROM 8TH MAR'2017 TO 22ND MAR'17
- TIMES RETAIL ICON AWARDS-2016
- TIMES RETAIL ICON AWARDS-2017
- Rudraksha : The Seed of Divine Karma
- Ambreshwar Temple
- Acceptance – the key to true happiness
- Happy New Year 2017
- Speed of Light
- Medicinal Herbs: Pippali - Piper Longum
- Deepavali –The Festival of joy and happiness
- Deepavali –The festival of Lights
- Navratri Celebrations at Rudralife
- Importance of Festivals
- Is Success such a desirable thing?
- Activities in the month of Shravan
- Power of Ganesh Rudraksha
- MODERN SCIENCE AND RUDRAKSHA
- RUDRAKSHA AND AYURVEDA
- RUDRAKSHA – A MEDICINE : ETYMOLOGY
- Scientific Basis of Rudraksha
- RUDRAKSHA – A MEDICINE
- Benefits of Jatamansi - Nardostachys Jatamansi
- SIGNIFICANCE OF MAHASHIVRATRI
- Medicinal Herbs: Methi - Trigonella Foenum-graecum
- Medicinal Herbs: Jatamansi - Nardostachys Jatamansi
- Medicinal Herbs: Haridra - Curcuma Longa
- WHY HAS THE DEMAND OF HIGHER MUKHI RUDRAKSHA INCREASED MORE THAN THE SUPPLY?
- Medicinal Herbs: Brahmi - Bacopa Monnieri
- Research On Rudraksha
- Rudraksha for all
- Medicinal Herbs: Ashwagandha - Withania Somnifera
- Medicinal Herbs: Anantamool - Hemidesmus Indicus
- RUDRAKSHA ARE NOT GEMSTONES